Our submission process is now closed. Our judging teams will be starting the evaluation process. We will be notifying everyone who submitted a proposal of the results sometime in April.
IABC Heritage Region seeks breakout session speakers for the 2019 Communications Conference.
September 22 – 24, 2019, Greektown Casino-Hotel, Detroit, MI
This request for proposals (RFP) contains:
- What We Expect from Speakers
- Breakout Session Details
- Attendee Demographics
- Categories and Topics
- Proposal Evaluation Criteria
- RFP Form for Submission
What We Expect from Speakers
If you are selected as a speaker, we regard your acceptance as a commitment to meet all deadlines and to personally present the topic at the conference.
- Complete and return the Speaker Agreement by the due date (date TBA)
- Present the session content as you describe it on the Proposal Form (any topic changes MUST be approved by the Heritage Region Conference Committee)
- Provide high-quality PowerPoint presentation and/or handouts by the due date (date TBA).
- Consent to posting your PowerPoint presentation and/or handouts on the Heritage Region website following the conference
- Register for the conference and the hotel by the specified deadlines (dates TBA)
- Help promote the conference in social media and by writing blog posts or articles for the conference website and other media
- Honor IABC Heritage Region’s commitment to providing professional development by not promoting your practices, services, or products or soliciting business during your presentation
- Adhere to the IABC Code of Ethics
IABC HERITAGE REGION DOES NOT COMPENSATE FOR SPEAKER FEES, TRAVEL, ACCOMMODATIONS OR EXPENSES. Speakers enjoy a complimentary registration to the conference, plus exposure on the conference website, program and promotional materials, as a thank you for participation.
Breakout Session Details
- Approximately 20-25 75-minute breakout sessions
- Approximately 2-4 in-depth sessions of 2.5 hours
- Approximately 2-4 keynote sessions of 45-minutes
NOTE: Superior session proposals may be asked to become keynote presentations
- Past conferences attracted approximately 150-200 attendees from the northeastern, midwestern and mid-Atlantic United States and Canada
- Attendees’ experience ranges from entry-level through senior-level (16-plus years of experience)
- Approximately 50% of attendees are senior communicators
- A significant number of attendees have 25-plus years of experience
- Workplace settings: corporate, creative agencies, government, academia, not-for-profit organizations, health care, insurance/financial, manufacturing, small businesses and independent settings
- Addresses key areas/emerging areas affecting today’s business communicators
- Highly interactive sessions and case studies may increase your likelihood of being selected
- Topics of interest and relevance to senior communicators
- Topics provide insights and take-aways that attendees can use in their workplaces
Categories and Topics
Conference sessions address key areas such as content management, employee communication, branding & marketing, public relations, engagement, business management skills, change management, creativity/innovation, strategy & counseling, measurement, leadership, technology, senior level issues, communication skills and soft skills needed in today’s workplaces.
For the Heritage Region Conference 2019, sessions will be offered in six categories. Listed under each track are suggested topic areas. If you have an idea for a topic that is not listed, please specify your topic as “Other” under the appropriate track name on the proposal form.
Proposal Evaluation Criteria
- Is proposal submitted on the IABC Heritage Region Conference 2019 form? Proposals submitted as letters, promotion material or on other proposal forms will not be considered.
- Is the Proposal form complete? Are any questions or sections left blank?
- If the proposal is for two or more speakers, is all the required information presented for each speaker?
- Does the topic align to one of the categories?
- Does the proposal description provide a compelling case for inclusion in the conference sessions?
- Is recent presentation experience listed? Is it comparable to IABC Heritage Region Conference breakout sessions, attendee demographics and content?
- Are two IABC or professional references with contact information listed? What did references say to the evaluator checking the reference?
Individuals interested in making presentations at the 2019 IABC Heritage Region Conference must complete the following Proposal Form and submit via e-mail* no later than Monday, March 4, 2019.
Joy Lovejoy, ABC, Speaker Committee Co-Chair
Please use the following in the e-mail subject line: “2019 Heritage Conference Proposal”